LEGEND OF THE CORN - ARAPAHOE BASIN
The day was already beginning to sizzle as they hitched a ride to Arapahoe Basin, a tropical day was in order. Hula. el squat and the samoan were all fired up for The Legend. the samoan had ridden A-basin before, and had been going on and on about it for years. It was a place of no pretense, a place that let its terrain do the talking. You could feel the spirits of the greats that had skied there for 70 years. This resort was the real deal, and finally squat would ski for herself.
It was a harvest day, and the corn was already popping by 10:30. The sun had been heating up the Zuma Cornice, and every line was straight from the creamery. They couldn't get enough - again and again. They were making tortillas, they were making tamales, and they were making that sweet buttery cornbread. Floss and repeat.
After a couple of hours the samaon had a nice scarecrow moment, flopping down the hill - stuffing coming out everywhere. Ribs were a little crunched, but her lack of brain kept her going. They raced around, alternating front and back laps - trying to shuck as much hot pow as possible.
After Montezuma Bowl closed, the two dipped into the East Wall for a little taste (without hiking) and spread butter on the groomed muffins with the enabler. It was a cholesterol party.
They only had one day, but it was a perfect A-bae. Lou Reed. It was cornerific excellency. The Legend once again delivered.
- Arapahoe Basin has the longest season in CO. They are usually open until July - so duh, go there now! Imagine the corn fields.....
- A-basin had the first poma lift in North America in 1950.
- The Arapaho Indians were known as People Of The Sky or Cloud People by their friendos - the Cheyenne Indians. Which is fitting for Arapahoe Basin; half of the mountain is above timberline - in the sky and clouds indeed.
- Montezuma was the last Aztec ruler, it is said that he got crazy greedy, and forgot that people (instead of riches) mattered. We can relate with our corn craze.
- There are 15 special parking spots you can reserve that border the three lower chairlifts. They come with a picnic bench and are the envy of the land.
- A-bae's nickname is The Legend - hope you figured that out by now.
Thanks for having us A-bae! We will dream of you until we meet again.